Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Notetaking from a video and Loving Kindness Meditation

Grades 9 and 10

Both classes practiced taking notes from a video of President Obama's speech to American school children on September 9. They all said they had seen the speech several times! We watched only about 10 minutes of it. I pointed out to them what they didn't need to write: his chatty beginning of the speech, various examples he gave. I also showed them that he gave clues that he was about to say something important which you should write in your notes. Obama uses terms like, "at the end of the day," and "today I'm here to talk to you about. . ."

The freshmen seem to be very comfortable with their note taking ability. The sophomores not as much. I would like the AmeriCorps tutors to practice taking Cornell notes alongside our students in the classroom, so the kids can see that it CAN be done. They like to argue with me about their inability to take notes in this format or to take notes at all.

The sophomores need to work on their respect for their teacher (me). They aren't trying to be rude, they just have a lot to say to each other. They are great friends with each other which is wonderful but their self-control is lacking. We will work on this together.

Today I taught both classes the Loving Kindness meditation. I couldn't believe it, but the sophomores did it beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment