Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Conclave and the Loving Kindness Meditation

Today was Conclave for the Juniors and Seniors. It was our time to share our ups and downs. Some of the juniors are struggling with sickness right now. This seems to be going around. They had fun over the weekend seeing movies, going to the Fair, football games, etc. The seniors are struggling with their World Lit class. They are having a difficult time with The Iliad and the essay assignment that goes with it.

In both classes I taught them the "Loving Kindness Meditation." This is simply repeating the following phrases over and over and trying to maintain your focus on the phrases:
May I be happy and peaceful.
May I be healthy and strong.
May I be safe and free.
May I care for myself with ease and joy.

This is a great mantra for bringing positive thoughts into our minds. You can also say this mantra for others, for example: May you be happy and peaceful. You say it in your head but direct it to others.

I thought the students might think Ms Ruiz had lost her mind and gone all "woo woo" but they said they liked the meditation.

1 comment: