Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Thank you notes, and Ms Ruiz got frustrated.


This is a is a shot of the Juniors with Flat Stanley who has come to visit me from San Antonio. I am to take photos of Flat Stanley in Tacoma and send them to my niece’s teacher. Anyway, the Juniors decided to pretend that they were flat, which is why they are all lying on the floor. That was Juwan’s idea.

Long day, very tired. Here’s what I can remember about CLASS today.

The kids were supposed to have binder checks today, but our binder checker wasn’t here, so we had to reschedule that to Thursday. Please encourage the students to take notes in their classes and to get their binders organized.

Development Director, Kelly Merry, visited both sections of CLASS today to introduce herself to the students and explain to them a little project she needed from them which was for them to write a thank you note to some people who attended our Instruments of Peace breakfasts. The students cheerfully wrote the notes, which as usual is greatly appreciated.

We discussed our upcoming field trips. Then we did an ACT practice drill and reviewed that.

The seniors also wrote thank you notes and then we had to have a serious discussion about their grades which resulted in them asking me at least five times why oh why they have to write Cornell notes? I answered very patiently telling them that Cornell makes them interact with the material four times which makes it more likely to stay in their head and that it gives them an easy, organized study guide. They didn’t buy that and kept asking until I just told them it was a class requirement and I was done talking about it. Note this isn’t the first time we’ve had this conversation. I think I need some of my college students to talk to them and attest to the value of Cornell notes.

Tomorrow I am going to Stadium to recruit some new Hilltop Scholars current grades 9 – 11. Trevor and Daniel and their significant others stayed late and helped me put together everything I need for tomorrow. They are the BEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment