Monday, November 16, 2009

Discussing the Little Rock 9

Over the past few days I have led a discussion with all of my CLASS students about the Little Rock 9 and the integration of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1957. Last Wednesday I showed them the movie "The Ernest Green Story" which dramatizes this event from the point of view of Ernest Green a high school senior and one of the Little Rock 9.

We discussed why the white people were so afraid and angry about integrating the schools. The students agreed that this is the way the white kids were raised and I added that it wasn't just their family that influenced their opinions, but also the segregated society in which they lived.

My students admired the courage of the Little Rock 9 and many didn't think they would have been able to do it. One said she feels badly that they went through all they did and today's students don't have to go through that.

I asked them if they have ever seen students treated unequally in their school setting. All of them said yes. We will be writing about this during our next class period.

No comments:

Post a Comment